Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

aeb
Vic 20 Dabbler

1K Gymnopedies

Post by aeb »

Here's my VIC 20 (unexpanded) entry 'Gymnopedies' to Minigame Competition 2006:
http://www.cncd.fi/aeeben/download/gymnopedies.zip

Shoot the pedies until they reach you. Keep the screen clean of rocks or the pedies will get you faster. Watch out for drops that appear when you crush rocks.

Difficulty increases over time and the real game starts when you're around 10000 points.

Joystick is required. Left/right to move, hold button for rapid fire.

Some cheats: 8)
poke4419,165 (immortality)
poke4360,1 (super-fast autofire) :shock:
poke5116,89 (star with 9 lives)
poke4867,255 (unlimited lives)

Have fun!

My older VIC 20 entries for Minigame Compos 2003-2004 are found here (Vuokatti, Tammerfors, Whack):
http://www.cncd.fi/download.zip

Minigame Competition page (1K series deadline is 10th May 2006, 4K and 8K later this year):
http://www.ffd2.com/minigame

Cheers,
Aleksi
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

mmh, link does not work - but I went to the official page and downloaded it there...
Found it as
Game Name : Realms of Quest II - Special Edition
Shoot the pedies ...
So title wrong but description ok :?

But beside these little problems I'm REALLY impressed by this game - fast, smooth play and especially the bottom (status) line looks great!

Björg
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

1k ?! Wow! How do you make the multicolor numbers at5 the bottom? That's not the VIC hi-res multi-color mode. :?:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Didn't look into the source, but I could imagine foreground color change every scanline???

This was at least my first idea when I saw that and it looks soooo cool!

Björg
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Schlowski wrote:. . .but I could imagine foreground color change every scanline???
But I still don't get it. Can you give me a more detailed description or a code example?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

There is a beam (the raster beam) that very rapidly paints the whole picture on the TV screen. If you change the background color equally fast in machine language, then you can make it look like there are several background colors at once. There is a register in the vic chip that tells you were this beam currently is painting, so you can time your color changes to this register.

For the game I guess he has made the characters inverted (or made use of the inverted mode) and so to say make the background color the forground color and then changed the background color as I described above.

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

If you want to change background colour (easier than changing foreground colour for each character), try something like this:

http://www.cbm.sfks.se/files/cbars-ntsc.prg
http://www.cbm.sfks.se/files/cbars-pal.prg
http://www.cbm.sfks.se/files/cbars.a65 (source)

POKE 4247,X to add more delay (larger colour bars) to the loop. It could be done in a much more elegant fashion though.

It was tested only through emulation though, but I'm quite sure it should be stable on a real VIC too.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've seen the technique used in later Atari 2600 games (centipede, california games, etc.) Very interesting!
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The difference is that on the 2600, I believe you have to sync everything with the raster beam for a decent, non-trivial display. On the VIC, you can output characters to the video matrix as you wish and sync with the beam mainly for special effects.
Anders Carlsson

Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

The 2600 has no video memory at all, you have to calculate and prepare each and every scanline (read: dots and colors) with raw processor power, this is 76 cycles on each scanline at the NTSC version. And in these 76 cycles you have to switch player, missile and ball graphics on and off for each line you want them to show and construct the so-called playfield, which is the background graphic.
And only when the beam is off, i.e. vertical blank time, you can make your calculations for player movement, AI and game logic... Which is something more than 2000 cycles per frame.

As I learned this I was very, very impressed of what the programmers had pulled out of the machine! In this regard the VIC is a very high tech and sophisticated machine, which is easy to program - at least compared to the 2600 :-)

Björg
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ayep, beginners to 6502 are often told that VIC or even more C64 is a great platform to learn the machine code, and once you know it, you can move over to learn the 2600 specialities. Or as I recently wrote on another forum; if programming in machine code (on VIC-20) is about keeping your tongue straight in your mouth, programming on Atari 2600 to me seems like keeping your tongue straight in a mouth full of bits of glass. :wink:
Anders Carlsson

Tepic
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Tepic »

I'm very damn impressed. In 1k? Geeze, I wish I could do that!
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

Looks great in VICE, but it seems to be PAL only, right? I haven't tried it yet on my real NTSC VIC, but it only seems to work with PAL emulation in VICE.

Great job though, I'm real impressed.
Alan
aeb
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by aeb »

Alan wrote:Looks great in VICE, but it seems to be PAL only, right? I haven't tried it yet on my real NTSC VIC, but it only seems to work with PAL emulation in VICE.

Great job though, I'm real impressed.
Yes, it's PAL only. Here's a quick NTSC fix - this should work, at least it works in VICE. There's little flicker at the bottom of screen due to different raster timing (should add some nops there):

poke4439,121
poke4441,206
poke4453,130
poke5106,1
poke5107,1

If you get a garbled screen you could try poke5106,0 too. If that doesn't help then the game screen is just too wide for NTSC.