WTB PAL Commodore systems, HardSID card

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Serious
Vic 20 Newbie

WTB PAL Commodore systems, HardSID card

Post by Serious »

I'm in the U.S. and would like to acquire PAL versions of Commodore systems, primarily the C64 and C16.

I'm also interested in a HardSID card (ISA or PCI).

Willing to buy or trade.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Moved to "Other Systems".
charliehopke
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by charliehopke »

Serious,

I'm just curious, if you are in the U.S. why would you want PAL System Computers? :?

Charlie
Strangers are just friends that we have not yet met.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

I have a HardSID ISA card for sale. You'd have to supply your own SID chip though since I don't have a spare one. I'm in Sweden but the HardSID is a small item so it shouldn't cost too much to send it to the USA.

Make me an offer. I prefer cash since I'm buying a new synth and some other stuff.

I'm afraid I don't have a spare C64 or C16 to sell.

Edit: Here's a picture of the HardSID. The SID chip in the picture is broken but you can have it if you want it (provided I can find it) The nosy cat is not included ;-):
Image.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
metalfoot76
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by metalfoot76 »

charliehopke wrote:Serious,

I'm just curious, if you are in the U.S. why would you want PAL System Computers? :?

Charlie
PAL computers can run a lot of software which the NTSC ones can't because of some timing and optimization tricks that work with the PAL screens due to difference in # of screen lines between refresh.
Serious
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Serious »

Charlie
Many demos and games were created for PAL computers and don't run properly on NTSC machines. They are jittery, run at the wrong speed, or appear garbled.

I have the equipment to convert a PAL signal for display on an NTSC television, which I currently use to play PAL Atari 2600 games.
charliehopke
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by charliehopke »

Serious wrote:

Charlie
Many demos and games were created for PAL computers and don't run properly on NTSC machines. They are jittery, run at the wrong speed, or appear garbled.

I have the equipment to convert a PAL signal for display on an NTSC television, which I currently use to play PAL Atari 2600 games.
OK, I understand now. I've been dealing with Commodores for a lot of years, but just never came across any PAL Systems in any of the computers that I purchased along the way :D

By the way, if you look at the first four words of my original post, it is a fine example of just how great a Literary Giant in the field of Poetry I am. :lol:

Charlie
Strangers are just friends that we have not yet met.