VICE disk drive "device not present" for XVIC

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

VICE disk drive "device not present" for XVIC

Post by Witzo »

Hello all,

Xvic on VICE2.4.25 isn't talking to the 1541 emulator. Does someone have a suggestion how to fix this?

After a harddisk crash I'm re-installing VICE on Ubuntu, following the steps of carefully looking up and placing ROM-images and such things, treating xvic, x64 and x128 in the same way.
X64 and x128 play nice with the emulated floppy, but xvic gives device not present.

To illustrate, what shows when I do
$ xvic file.d64
and
$ x64 file.d64
:
The C64 shows 'Drive 8' in the lower bar of its window, the VIC20 does not.
The drive rom error for vic also shows up for c64 a little higher in the output but does not affect c64 functioning.

I got VICE through the Synaptic installer and hand-added the roms to the respective dirs in /usr/lib/vice, the same way I did for my pre-crash installation when it all worked.

It keeps surprising me how apparently the same steps lead to different outcomes whenever I try to install software.,.
Bobbi
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: VICE disk drive "device not present" for XVIC

Post by Bobbi »

I think you need to enable the virtual device.

'Settings' -> 'Drive Settings' -> 'Drive #8 Model' - set it to '1541' instead of 'None' (default.)
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

That's it! Thanks!

Such a simple thing to overlook... :oops:
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

actually virtual devices are not mandatory - except of course when you disabled true drive emulation.
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

I've not consciously disabled true drive emulation, but I am not a very clever man when it comes to configuring applications.
The errors about missing drive ROMs suggest to me I should look those up, copy them to the same folder where all the other ROMs appear to live, and see if true drive emulation is back.

For now, I can open disk images and BasEdit in Wine is working as well so I'm quite happy that I can do VIC stuff again!
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

I have just installed Vice 3.3.
Looks smooth, with these F12 menus integrated into the emulator.

However, I again ran into ?device not present error. This time when turning true drive emulation off, to get faster loading from .d64 images.
It turns out that 'Virtual device traps' is off by default, and must be on for fast loading.

In summary, for fast loading from .d64:
F12/Drive/True drive emulation off
F12/Drive/Virtual device traps on