Paddles.

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Tepic
Vic 20 Devotee

Paddles.

Post by Tepic »

I have a pair of CBM paddles that are very unreliable. The inputs are all over the place and it makes games unplayable.

I was thinking about using some switch cleaner on the variable resistors, but they look like sealed units. Is it possible, or should I just try replacing them? Does anybody know what resistance they are?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Re: Paddles.

Post by Jeff-20 »

Welcome to the joy of analog paddles. There are several discussions on the matter here, but I will start you with this thread. You may want to use search to see older threads as well.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Tepic
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Tepic »

Ack, thanks for that. It seems it's not such a simple issue. For shame :(
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

My solution (perhaps a shared one) is to keep hunting for a single good pair of paddles and hold on to them. I suspect over time all paddles will degrade, but working ones do exist.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

My approach to working paddles has been a combination of buying several sets over the years and using spray contact cleaner on the pots. Some of the paddles were DOA and the contact cleaner did nothing, whereas others were helped by the contact cleaner.

Maybe in the 80s I had paddles that didn't need some kind of work, but in recent memory I've always had to do something to at least one out of the pair.