Back to the Vic After 29 Years - Hints and Advice

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

paradroid90
Vic 20 Newbie

Back to the Vic After 29 Years - Hints and Advice

Post by paradroid90 »

Hello to Everyone!!! :-)

I have recently purchased an old Vic (£10.00 on EBay I know I am Mad) and i was just looking for some advice on how to get the machine back into life if it does not work (Hopefully Picking it Up this weekend)

I am bracing myself that the Vic has some component Issues inside so I thought it was the best time to learn how to Solder.....

As I have already started a Breadbin 64 project where I have managed to make two bad motherboards in one nearly working one (Basic Rom needs to be changed but can not solder :-( ) I wondered if any of you Guys and Gals can point me in the right direction on how to learn to Solder.

Would love to get this breadbin now fully working again and bring the VIC back to life if required.

Any Hints and Tips would be appricated

Thanks
3583 Basic Bytes Free ;-)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
paradroid90
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by paradroid90 »

Thanks for the Info Boray :D

Got the beast home now and it powers on but it does not have any image out not even blank screen.

Used a Blind Tape Command in the Tape Drive and it worked - Going to try and load a game or program (Vic did not have any when it was sold so will find a TAP some where) but reading Ray Carlsen's great site it sounds like its the VIC Chip???

Obviously you guys have more knowledge than me :oops:

Thanks
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

If you want to try the sound in blind, you could type:

POKE36878,15 (return)
POKE36875,200 (return)
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
paradroid90
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by paradroid90 »

Hi Boray......Thanks for the Info.

Tried both of those Pokes with no luck :-(

TV is coming back no signal found when VIC is switched on ......Tried re-seating the VIC chip and no joy either.

Vic is connect to video DIN to Scart lead i also use on my C64c

Thanks for your help so far :-)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Sounds like a bad vic chip to me. :(
paradroid90
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by paradroid90 »

mmmmmm starting to think the same myself :-(

Run the Vic for 5-10 mins and the VIC Chip started to run very hot !!!

Been googling this evening where would be the best place to buy a VIC Chip ???

Thanks Again for your support :-)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I would just buy another vic-20. If you buy one cheap with some other problem then be aware that not all vic-20s have socketed vic chips. I guess it's the newest ones that have chips soldered on.
paradroid90
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by paradroid90 »

Thanks for the Advice Boray :-)
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

You could get one with busted keys for cheap, and just swap components.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

PaulQ wrote:You could get one with busted keys for cheap, and just swap components.
Agreed. I mostly see VICs with surface damage. If you have a working keyboard, you should have no problem matching it up to one with a working interior.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
paradroid90
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by paradroid90 »

Hi Jeff

Yes think the Keyboard is working but have a spare C64 keyboard just incase - Watching a Vic with Black Screen Issues on E-Bay - Bloke wants £10.00 for it :shock:

I will keep looking :-)
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I am amazed at what some Vic 20's have sold for. Even with stuff wrong with them, they seem to be too much.

The best place I've dealt with is TPUG. I've bought some hardware from them with no regrets. $30 Canadian for a system with a tape drive and software, you can't go wrong. You might need to cut a deal with a member to arrange shipping. Heck, I might pick up an extra Vic 20 from them at the next meeting. Who knows when something else might go wrong? Personally, I'm now using an older model Vic with the 9V power supply and gold badge after the cost-reduced version I had had the same problem as yours. In fact, I recall my original Vic 20 having issues as well, and it was a cost reduced version as well...hmm...

http://www.tpug.ca/store/items-for-sale/
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I don't think Vic-20 prices are too high. A vic-20 is not just a piece of electronic junk like a 10 year old laptop, it's a piece of computer history!
paradroid90
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by paradroid90 »

Thanks for the Update Paul.

I will have to look at shipping costs to the UK ???

Looks a really good site and prices look really reasonable.

I take it these would be all NTSC versions of the Vic20

Once again thanks for the Indo - Most Helpful :-)