1581 drive - partitions on a VIC?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

oracle_jedi
Vic 20 Amateur

1581 drive - partitions on a VIC?

Post by oracle_jedi »

Does anyone have a worked example of creating 2, 3 or 4 partitions on a 1581 drive from a VIC-20?

The PARTITION AID program doesn't run on a VIC.

I am trying to create four equal partitions so I can copy four 1541 disks onto a single 1581 floppy - they all have the same menu DISK.SEQ file so I cannot easily combine them.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Graham
nbla000
Salmon Run

Re: 1581 drive - partitions on a VIC?

Post by nbla000 »

oracle_jedi wrote: I am trying to create four equal partitions so I can copy four 1541 disks onto a single 1581 floppy - they all have the same menu DISK.SEQ file so I cannot easily combine them.
Hey did you use my disk-loader program ?
In this case you may copy files to the 1581 and rewrite the DISK.SEQ file using my Disk writer program.

Tell me if you need program/help.

I use it on a 1581 but without partitions since my Disk-loader program may load loooooong directories even on unexpanded vics.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
oracle_jedi
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by oracle_jedi »

nbla000 wrote: Hey did you use my disk-loader program ?
In this case you may copy files to the 1581 and rewrite the DISK.SEQ file using my Disk writer program.

Tell me if you need program/help.

I use it on a 1581 but without partitions since my Disk-loader program may load loooooong directories even on unexpanded vics.

nbla000 kindly pointed me in the directory of his disk-writer program so I can combine the disks now.

but I am still curious on the partitions. I did manage to create four equal partitions of 720 blocks each. but now I cannot move files easily. I can load/save files, but the disk-copy command only copies the file back onto the same disk.

I tried the dual copy program from Zimmers and that dutifully made a entire set of 1 block files.

Star Commander insists on copying everything into the root.

Ideas?

Thanks!
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

oracle_jedi wrote:I did manage to create four equal partitions of 720 blocks each. but now I cannot move files easily. I can load/save files, but the disk-copy command only copies the file back onto the same disk.
I'm not sure but the D81 format doesn't support partitions so Star Commander may assume that disks are not partitioned when you copy a full disk.

If you try to copy a d64 image to a 1581 partition, this doesn't work.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

nbla000 wrote: I'm not sure but the D81 format doesn't support partitions
Are you sure about that?

In this text:
http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~schepers/formats/D81.TXT

...there is a section called "*** 1581 Partitions and Sub-directories"
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

The 1581 most certainly does support partitions and sub-directories.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.