Which Commodore printer is easiest to maintain?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

That's good. If we could find a similar solution for the VIC-1525 that would be very nice. The VIC-1525 also has a ribbon that doesn't travel with the print head, but is stretched across the width of the carriage like the MPS-802.

What would also be great is the ability to hand-repair broken print head pins. I've never even tried to open a print head to see if it's possible.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Perhaps the pins are just seized? I know in the past, I'd remove a seized print head, soak it overnight in rubbing alcohol, and then give it a shot of WD-40. That usually did the trick. I'm not sure if it's wise to open them up.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I don't actually have a broken print head, but I'm thinking whenever I might need a replacement print head it would be nice be able to repair these (if it's even possible).
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

It's my understanding that good quality dot matrix printer ribbons contain lubricant for the print head. I've seen some sources advocating the use of WD-40, but I'm skeptical. I'm also skeptical of using ink pads to re-ink ribbons. I noticed Staples had a similar sized ribbon for around $8, looks like good quality. I think a case can be made for preventative maintenance, by using good quality "New" ribbons repacked into our old cases, and perhaps some 3-in-1 silicone spray on the gears and moving parts to prolong the life of these printers, because I fear that, as you suggest, repair may not be possible. If we can't even get proper ribbons for some of these printers, what are the odds of finding replacement parts?
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Well, I don't know for sure, but I think that ink-pad ink is oil based. It doesn't dry up in air and can last for months/years on the pad.

So it might be able to lubricate the pins.

Printer head pins are available on-line, and I've found sites where people offer to fix impact printer heads --- so it must be possible:

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/dot-mat ... -pins.html
Last edited by ral-clan on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Nice find; it does give some hope for the future of our retro endeavours. Meanwhile, I picked up a can of this to keep everything running smoothly:

I also discovered that tigerdirect.ca has my printer ribbon of choice for a mere $6.99. Perhaps the ink pad ink is fine and does the job, but at $6.99, I prefer to go for something intended for dot matrix printer technology for the peace of mind.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=1458

How wide does the ribbon of the 1525 measure?
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I'd have to fish it out of storage to measure it (it's packed away right now).

As I only have one VIC-1525 and its ribbons are rare, I keep it in storage. For everyday wear and tear use, I the MPS-801 with my VIC-20 as these are more abundant and the ink ribbon cartridges can still be tracked down and purchased (not easily, but a lot more easily than VIC-1525 ribbons).

Also, the MPS-801 ink cartridges, as I mentioned above (several years ago) can accept ribbons from about any other ink cartridge currently being made, if you crack the plastic case of the cartridge open, remove the old worn out ribbon and drop the new ribbon inside.

The MPS-801 has almost exactly the same quality of print as the VIC-1525.

The only other printer I would like to get if I had the chance is an original VIC-1515.

Now, Paul, one question....if you do replace the ribbons on you printer with those ones from Staples, you have a quantity of fresh ink on the new ribbon - but that can't last long. The original MPS-802 print cartridge must have an internal reservoir inside that recharges the ribbon as it moves through the cartridge. How are you refreshing that reservoir? That was why I had originally suggested stamp-pad ink refillers in the thread above (a few drops of stamp pad ink on the reservoir's sponge).
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

The original ribbon on the MPS 802 was a single strike carbon type, so the idea was to use it once, and then toss it away. The cartridge design is almost identical to that of the nylon printer ribbon that's used in the Epson LX-810. There's no reservoir; there's just a LOT of ribbon packed into the cartridge itself, just like the carbon ribbon. It's all crammed and squished in on itself. Eventually, it fades over time and needs to be replaced.