Re: WIP: Doom

Post by mrr19121970 »

I am trying now
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Hi guys,

Where is the actual .d64 of DOOM for the VIC-20? I can't find the actual executable package for download. There is a .d64 on github bit it doesn't seem to be a valid .d64 for use in an emulator.

Nevermind, found it:
https://github.com/Kweepa/vicdoom/blob/master/doom.d64
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

I have yet to get this game to work. I use my Mega-Cart as my ram expansion on bootup. I run SJload and then load Doom. I see the nice demo picture as it loads, but that is it. It locks up every time. Is there something I am doing wrong? Thanks.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

37kb is enabled ?
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Don't run SJLOAD, it will conflict with memory Doom needs. Only if you have SJLOAD-Basic installed on your MegaCart this will work. Go to "Normal Reset - 32K + 3K" and then load Doom.

You may try typing SYS 40000 before loading, if you have SJLOAD-Basic insalled on your Mega Cart this will start it (you will just see the READY.-prompt) - if it hangs or goes to blank-screen-READY.-prompt (like STOP/RESTORE) you don't have SJLOAD-Basic installed.

Anyway, just try without SJLOAD first an 32K+3K RAM first, this should work.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

tokra wrote:Don't run SJLOAD, it will conflict with memory Doom needs. Only if you have SJLOAD-Basic installed on your MegaCart this will work. Go to "Normal Reset - 32K + 3K" and then load Doom.

You may try typing SYS 40000 before loading, if you have SJLOAD-Basic insalled on your Mega Cart this will start it (you will just see the READY.-prompt) - if it hangs or goes to blank-screen-READY.-prompt (like STOP/RESTORE) you don't have SJLOAD-Basic installed.

Anyway, just try without SJLOAD first an 32K+3K RAM first, this should work.

I am currently trying what you suggested only one problem....I have no idea how to navigate to a directory via basic. After loading the SDcard and typing "list", what is the command to enter the desired directory? Once in that directory, I can start Doom. Thanks.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

OPEN 1,8,15, "CD:directoryname":CLOSE 1

8 is the number of your drive. So if you configured you SD2IEC to another drive-number use that instead

You can also change into .d64-images that way, e.g.:

OPEN 1,8,15, "CD:doom.d64":CLOSE 1

But if you have the MegaCart, why not just use the FileBrowser?
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Using File Browser instead of SJLoad worked great. Doom now works.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Just to make this point clear: it's not you'd use the File Browser "instead of" SJLOAD, you don't use SJLOAD at all. It doesn't matter how you mount the *.d64 file of VIC Doom to run it. You can quite as well run VIC Doom from the READY prompt, without any utility programs. On real h/w, just insert the disk, enter LOAD"*",8 and RUN. With +35K RAM installed.

As tokra wrote, SJLOAD installs in RAM and has to stay resident to fulfil its task, namely speeding up disk operations. VIC Doom, however is very demanding in RAM usage, and needs all RAM that is possible to expand the VIC-20 with (put aside RAM expansions in I/O 2/3). The two most often used binaries of SJLOAD use RAM areas ($0400 and $B000), where in most cases at least one of them is not used by another program. VIC Doom however loads into both areas (and all the other "standard" RAM), and thus overwrites SJLOAD in RAM, crashing the VIC.

Simply put: SJLOAD and VIC Doom don't go together. How you actually start up VIC Doom is altogether another matter.
fuzzybad
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by fuzzybad »

Hey guys, I recently purchased one of the new VIC-20 Final Expansion 3 Rev 11 carts produced by e5frog and SkydivinGirl, and I'm trying to get Doom to run. I can get as far as the level loading screen, then it crashes back to a blinking cursor. Half the time, it doesn't even get past the init screen (just before the game select menu).

I've got all RAM enabled, and the Wedge is disabled. I've verified that RAM exists in all blocks by POKE-ing a value, then reading it back. I've verified my copy of Doom is good, by running the same disk image in VICE. I've tried running it from the SDCard, and from a real 1541 disk. I've tried running it on 3 different VIC-20s (all NTSC). I've tried using different power supplies. I've tried using different serial cables. Still no go.

Other than this game, my Final Expansion seems to be working 100%. Is this a known issue with the cartridge? Is there a setting I'm missing? Has anyone been able to run Doom successfully with the FE3 expansion RAM?
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Basically, the FE3 has a bug in that the 3K-area (RAM1/2/3) may have crosstalk with BLK5. From user reports this bug seems much more common to NTSC than PAL, see here:

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =15#p91340
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... &start=190

You can check for crosstalk with this program:

http://www.tokra.de/vic/doom/crosstalk.prg

Sadly even the latest revision of the FE3 has not narrowed down this bug.
fuzzybad
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by fuzzybad »

Aha! Thank you so much for sharing this, I suspected it was a known issue with FE3 but missed the thread you linked me to. Hopefully there will be a new firmware that will address the crosstalk issue at some point. I'd suggest that FE3 distributors add a mention of this issue to FE3 docs as a "known issue." It would save people like me a lot of time and debugging..

At least I can rest easy knowing I didn't mess up the assembly of my FE3 cart. Thanks!
Neo-Rio
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Neo-Rio »

What firmware are you using?
Try using the latest "unofficial" version: 22e
I'm using it, and it fixes a few issues with the disk menu, but maybe it also fixes your issue?

http://www.vroomen.de/vc20/fe3/firmware ... eR022E.zip

I have a PAL, second revision VIC-20 with FEe rev10 using the above firmware.
No issues with Doom here.
I also tried running the crosstalk utility. I get no errors after running it.
fuzzybad
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by fuzzybad »

What firmware are you using?
Hmm, I just checked and it came preloaded with 22D.

I'll try upgrading to 22E and report back..

Thanks for the suggestion! :)
Neo-Rio
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Neo-Rio »

The only thing I've found with 22e is that the cart flasher seems broken. It seems to crash or reload the menu when I try to select a program to flash. Otherwise my LOADER files work OK in the disk menu....
Is this just my FE3 not working or do other people find the same thing with this firmware?

Not sure if this will fix your issue. 22e is only a minor revision to 22d

The firmware still needs some work IMHO.