Exciting latest news for the VIC :)

Discuss anything related to the VIC
orion70
VICtalian

Exciting latest news for the VIC :)

Post by orion70 »

For those who tuned in just today, here's the summary of latest news :)

- On Aug 17, Ghislain released a disk with the Theater of War Trilogy, plus several bonus titles, published and sold by Psytronik

- On Sep 1st, Ghislain (again!) made a four-level demo of Realms of Quest IV available for the 16K or 24K expanded VIC. He's thinking about producing a 24K version with less disk access for loading, and a 32K RoQ IV complete with music!

- Few days later, Victragic surprised us with a superb VIC version (16K required) of Atari's iconic Pitfall, which now has been polished even further and plays exactly as the original - or better :). We will hear about this game in the years to come, being a real milestone for the VIC.

- Kweepa put his mighty programming eye on us poor text adventure lovers, providing an incredible VIC interpreter for the Scott Adams series, probably extensible to Brian Howarth's. It plays the adventures in a wonderful, readable, proportional font - and you CAN SAVE GAMES!

- Boray somehow provided the soundtrack for this bunch of programs, with his SD2IEC music player, the biggest program and longest music compilation ever made for a VIC - 6.8 Mb in size for a whooping 60 minutes of music (and advertising :wink:).

- Boray also gave us the opportunity to load everything from the 1541 or SD2IEC faster, better, and easier, thanks to an excellent loader. The latest incarnation is Vic Menu V28 deluxe, a full-option loader everyone should have in the root dir :).

- The 8K version of How Many, by Boray again, completes the scene.

So, it was only to say THANK YOU everyone: not only the VIC's not dead, but the production flourishes with technically impressive, fun, and previously unseen solutions :D
pallas
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by pallas »

I agree completely, it's an exciting time for the good old vic! Thanks to the great community down here.
I hope to be able to give my contribution soon by finishing cbmsh and/or a new game or whatever comes to my mind :-)
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

Three cheers for the Vic!!!
Keep 'em coming :D
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

It is amazing how productive this community is... thank you to everyone for creating such wonderful new things for us to enjoy :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I'm very excited about these recent developments! When our Denialers working on the new phpbb finish, I hope to have a running news blog like other forums have on the front page. There's always something happening.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
metalfoot76
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by metalfoot76 »

To be honest, I was surprised to find such a dynamic VIC community considering how much longer it's been 'out of circulation' relative to even the 64. So this forum is awesome...and if only I could find a working VIC within my limited budget, I'd love to be a full-fledged VIC user. Lots of really neat stuff going on here.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Re: Exciting latest news for the VIC :)

Post by Ghislain »

orion70 wrote:For those who tuned in just today, here's the summary of latest news :)

- On Aug 17, Ghislain released a disk with the Theater of War Trilogy, plus several bonus titles, published and sold by Psytronik

- On Sep 1st, Ghislain (again!) made a four-level demo of Realms of Quest IV available for the 16K or 24K expanded VIC. He's thinking about producing a 24K version with less disk access for loading, and a 32K RoQ IV complete with music!
Thank you for your appreciation. Just a minor correction: the 24K version is actually done and is included in the recent 4 level demo.

After a modest number of releases in 2011 and 2012, the VIC-20 had a little bit of an upsurge in activity this year. I can't wait to finish my final Commodore projects so that I can dedicate more time to trying the new games and programs that have been made recently.
Last edited by Ghislain on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

An eventful month!
charliehopke
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by charliehopke »

I'm brand new to this forum, and I had no ideal that so much was being done for and on the VIC 20. I am really impressed with what I am seeing. I haven't had my VIC turned on for a while, and I can already see that it is getting ready to get some exercise. Great job everyone! :D
Strangers are just friends that we have not yet met.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Thanks! Well, I've not had a real Vic-20 at home for 4 years, but this summer I brought one back from my mother's when we visited. (Actually one of those I got from our fellow denial member Schlowski, repaired and resaturated by myself - not the blue one). I then bought a SD2IEC for it and then I just HAD to adapt Vic Disk Menu for it and then I kind of kept on going. :D The music player is actually started off on the disk menu code as well. Reading a directory and music data is not that different.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I am the happiest here for what's happening, and the saddest because RL won't allow me 30 minutes a day for my VIC :(. All I have is the hope that - as my daughter will be growing and work will be less demanding - I'll have my minutes back...