Welcome to Denial

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Welcome to Denial

Post by Jeff-20 »

Hello. I'm Jeff. Welcome to what I hope will become a fun vic 20 community.

I still use my vic and collect items realted to it. I hope to post interesting pics, programs and information here soon. Feel free to join and add to the site.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
thekeeper
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by thekeeper »

Hello to Everyone in VIC-Land...this is Rob in Washington State!!Someone stated they seen me buying VIC stuff on ebay,and thought it would be good to introduce me to this site...so...here I am.I am collector of everything videogame related since 1996,have well over 5000 games for about 40 different gaming systems(consoles,portable,classic PC's)and the VIC-20 is one of my faves.I was at CGE in Vegas last year with the Northwest Classic Games Enthusiasts,with a table dedicated to the classic computers,and had a VIC-20 up and running games.This year I'll have a similiar table set-up for our meet coming this May, in the Seattle-Tacoma area.Please check-out the NWCGE website,http:/NWCGE.org for more details,especially if your close enough to attend or will be in the area.Otherwise,I'll check back later,and chat somemore......Rob :D
That Gaming Dude...you know...the guy!!!
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Re: Welcome to Denial

Post by joshuadenmark »

Jeff-20 wrote:Hello. I'm Jeff. Welcome to what I hope will become a fun vic 20 community.

I still use my vic and collect items realted to it. I hope to post interesting pics, programs and information here soon. Feel free to join and add to the site.
Thanks for this great forum Jeff, can see you joined it in 1970 and is stil going strong :wink:
Kind regards, Peter.
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks! I'm excited to see it's still going strong. 1969 is the default setting of the phpbb before I set the time.

This may possibly be the last year of Denial. It takes a lot of time removing spam from the terribly outdated software. No one here has the time or motivation to update it. The annual fees went up as usual. The last guy who helped me upgrade moved the database and hasn't posted here since 2008 (I have no idea how to even back up the forum data!). I could go on, but you get the idea. And there are plenty of redundant sites now.

It's been a blast doing this. I compiled all my old games posted here; it's available in another thread. Great times had!
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Hi Jeff

I am running a phpbb forum too, www.krybdyrforum.dk and got lot of space for hosting Denial forum if you like, for zero cost.

If you like i can give it a try updating the forum, done it several times on my own forum.

Send me a PM if interested.

Nice evening to you
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by Boray »

I would hate to see this forum die! :shock: Seems I joined it when the forum was just two and a half month old. I had no idea it was that young when I joined.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Boray wrote:I would hate to see this forum die! :shock: Seems I joined it when the forum was just two and a half month old. I had no idea it was that young when I joined.
I love this forum too, and I think I can help and will sure give it a try.

But if Jeff's not got ascess to the database it could be a problem.

But I can see the spamming is a huge problem, this will end ind the new phpbb3 version.
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

I hope something can be worked out with the forum in the future! Would really hate to see it go. It's the number one VIC-20 place to be.

Since I'm not to keen on forum-software myself, I hope a donation through Paypal will keep this forum going. Seen that Donate-button on the front page? I overlook this all too often when things run smoothly.

How much money do you need each year for hosting? Maybe with a little extra even the database-migration could be paid for as a team effort.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks for the donation, tokra! I should point out that I use the url for other purposes than the forum like listing my favorite games, etc. So, money is not the real issue. I wouldn't need an alternate host, because I will continue to use sleepingelephant for other purposes.

In the past, I've responded to donations with disks, tapes, buttons, or other Denial swag. Now, it's more of a maintenance issue.

I DO have access to the database. I think it's just been altered a little. What I need most is help upgrading the software to make this experience better for everyone. If the software worked as it should, I would love to continue forever! I've just grown weary after years and years of daily spam removal. Any help with that would be worth more than gold!
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Jeff, it looks like you got some good people here who would probably enjoy helping you with the spam issue. Perhaps greater co-operative community involvement would provide you with the relief you seek. Maybe a Denial council of sorts?
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

What's the current forum version?
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by lordbubsy »

Hi everyone,
This shocks me! 8-/
Although this is my first post, I’m a member for over a year and visit almost every day.
I’ve had a lot of fun, useful tips and some really nice contacts from this community.
This may not and cannot end!
8-bit assimilation
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Hi Jeff

Send you a PM.
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by Bacon »

I really hope Denial can keep on living. This is one of the very few forums I visit regularly, although I don't post as often as I once did.

Still, Jeff, I can't blame you if you get fed up with all the work that goes into spam removal. Here's hoping for a solution.

Edit: I see now that I also joined Denial when it was only two months old. Has it really been more than eight years? Wow.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Dusty
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Dusty »

Where's exactly the problem in upgrading the BBS software? (Looked briefly over the posts, but didn't find it)