Could someone give me a short leasson in 1581 usage?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Boray
Musical Smurf

Could someone give me a short leasson in 1581 usage?

Post by Boray »

I would like to know how to create partitions/subdirs and how to go to such a directory. I need it for making a test .D81 file for possible PRG Starter .D81 support.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Re: Could someone give me a short leasson in 1581 usage?

Post by gklinger »

Boray wrote:I would like to know how to create partitions/subdirs and how to go to such a directory.
You should download a copy of the 1581 user's guide from here and direct your attention to page 77 where you'll find information about partitions and sub-directories.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Boray wrote:I would like to know how to create partitions/subdirs and how to go to such a directory.
If you have a C64 or C128, you can use 1581 Toolkit, and that program will easily make partitions on a 1581 disk.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
CommVEx v6 2010 - http://www.commodore.ca/forum and click on ComVEX
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Thanks!

I tried this in VICE but nothing happens:

10 open15,8,15
20 print#15,"/0:subdir,"+chr$(80)+chr$(0)+chr$(240)+chr$(0)+",c"
30 close15

Nothing shows up in the root dir. Is something wrong or isn't subdirs supported in VICE or .D81 files?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

RobertBe wrote: If you have a C64 or C128, you can use 1581 Toolkit, and that program will easily make partitions on a 1581 disk.
I don't have a 1581.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I managed to test partitions by using the Bible.D81 to try with... I've concluded that VICE doesn't look inside the partitions when autostarting so I don't have to bother with that either.
sjgray
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by sjgray »

Boray wrote:Thanks!

I tried this in VICE but nothing happens:

10 open15,8,15
20 print#15,"/0:subdir,"+chr$(80)+chr$(0)+chr$(240)+chr$(0)+",c"
30 close15

Nothing shows up in the root dir. Is something wrong or isn't subdirs supported in VICE or .D81 files?
I'm just starting to play with Partitions... There are only 80 tracks, and 40 sectors per track but in your example above you start the partition at track 80 and try to allocate 240 sectors, which goes beyond the capacity of the disk. Make sure you select the 1581 as your drive type in Vice.

I am able to create partitions using vice that appear in the directory, but so far am not able to get into those partitions to format them or store files on. I've created up to 4 partitions of verious lengths but when I try to select them I get error "77, selected partition illegal"....

Anyone else have any experience with these without using a utility?

Steve
sjgray
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by sjgray »

I was just re-reading this and realized I forgot there were two sides, so I guess 160 tracks. Perhaps you can't make a partition spanning sides....

Steve
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

The 1581 has 80 tracks with 40 sectors each, 3200 blocks total. 40 blocks are required for the directory track, which gives 3160 blocks free on an empty 3 1/2 inch disk.
sjgray wrote:Anyone else have any experience with these without using a utility?
For the two Bible disks I created the partitions (which contain the chapter files as SEQ data) manually. I used no other method than the one described in the 1581 manual, so there ...
sjgray
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by sjgray »

So my original reply is correct then? The OP was trying to create a partition that would spill off the end of the disk. Specifying a lower start track would be the answer.

It still doesn't explain why I can't get into my partitions. The user's guide says the ending sector must be a multiple of 40, but if sectors start at zero then 39 is the last sector. I've tried xx=39,40,80 etc as my "number of sectors" in the "/0:name,tsxx,c" create partition command, and still I can't get into it.

I'm looking for a D81 image that contains multiple partitions, formatted with files. Can anyone help?

Steve
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Hi, Steve,
sjgray wrote:So my original reply is correct then?
yes it is.
It still doesn't explain why I can't get into my partitions. The user's guide says the ending sector must be a multiple of 40, but if sectors start at zero then 39 is the last sector. I've tried xx=39,40,80 etc as my "number of sectors" in the "/0:name,tsxx,c" create partition command, and still I can't get into it.
xx must be specified as 16-bit number, not in PETSCII.

For a 120 blocks partition at the start of the disk (the minimum size which can be formatted), you'd specify:

Code: Select all

"/0:name,"+CHR$(1)+CHR$(0)+CHR$(120)+CHR$(0)+",C"
then change into that partition, and format it with the same ID that was used for the whole disk.
I'm looking for a D81 image that contains multiple partitions, formatted with files.
In these two threads you find example *.d81 images:

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... php?t=4385

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... php?t=4936

Greetings,

Michael
sjgray
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by sjgray »

Ah, somehow I missed the part about minimum 120 sectors... now it makes sense. Thanks for the help and links!

Steve