New Commodore website, new Commodore machine

Discuss anything related to the VIC
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

Again, this is more or less the exact same computer I reviewed back in 2008 where I said "this would be what a C64 could look like today" and gave the various reasons for it.

I know it's just one little Commodore blog I run in the sea that is the interwebs, but I like to think that the guys who went for this idea saw my site post or at least someone related to the effort did.

I want my cut of the profits! :P

But it really does need a Commodore logo - and a little "rainbow" extension of it would be even nicer.

I would LOVE to see someone take one of these and make it into the ultimate Emulation box. :)

http://www.cybernetman.com/en/buy/refur ... ystems.cfm

Cybernet has been around since at least when I posted in 2008, so I'd have more faith ordering a "Commodore" from them than from some shady fly-by-night that won't even make the effort to badge it with a Chicken Head.
Last edited by robinsonmason on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

robinsonmason wrote:Again, this is more or less the exact same computer I reviewed back in 2008 where I said "this would be what a C64 could look like today" and gave the various reasons for it.
I see. :? So this guy's making profit on someone else's ideas and work?
robinsonmason wrote:But it really does need a Commodore logo - and a little "rainbow" extension of it would be even nicer.

I would LOVE to see someone take one of these and make it into the ultimate Emulation box. :)
Yep, and being refurbished, it should be cheaper than the average system sold by Commodoreusa. Question is: how much would it be buying one in Italy, given that you have to pay high shipping costs and customs (at least +20%, depending on the category of imported goods)? And more: is all this worth the effort? It's not even Commodore branded!

I'd rather switch to the PC/C64 (or PC/VIC!) modding.
I agree on your point of view: the C64 would have been just like this PC. But we shouldn't forget that Commodore lost the race against IBM/compatibles because it didn't produce separate boxes with a modular card-based, expandable hardware. :wink:
Last edited by orion70 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

robinsonmason wrote:Again, this is more or less the exact same computer I reviewed back in 2008 where I said "this would be what a C64 could look like today" and gave the various reasons for it.
Yeah, we know. You already posted a link to your blog. :)
I know it's just one little Commodore blog I run in the sea that is the interwebs, but I like to think that the guys who went for this idea saw my site post or at least someone related to the effort did.
I first heard the idea of slapping a Commodore logo on a wedge PC (Cybernet is not the first to release a machine with that form-factor) in the IRC a few years ago. Sorry. If it's any consolation, the idea is obvious.

Anyway, getting back to ral-clan's post that reanimated this thread -- I think the Amiga, uh, I mean, Amigo, is much cooler than the "Phoenix" (read Cybernet) unit. I know I've seen the Amigo somewhere before. I just can't recall where. I'll see if I can't hunt down the OEM this afternoon...
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

I first heard the idea of slapping a Commodore logo on a wedge PC (Cybernet is not the first to release a machine with that form-factor) in the IRC a few years ago.
:cry: Oh well - haha. A man can dream, can't he? :P
orion70 wrote: I agree on your point of view: the C64 would have been just like this PC. But we shouldn't forget that Commodore lost the race against IBM/compatibles because it didn't produce separate boxes with a modular card-based, expandable hardware. :wink:
True, but look where we are now....it's all coming full circle. Well, with TFT monitors and touch-screens. The days of the huge desktop with sound cards, video cards, fax cards, network cards are coming to a close, replaced (again) by the all-in-ones, AKA laptops/netbooks/iPads... Even my hard-core PC upgrade friend has sworn off sound cards and now only buys video cards, leaving several slots unpopulated. Meanwhile, the once PC-centric FPS twitch gamers migrate to PS3's and other consoles with a static video solution and hardware that takes years to change and casual gamers go for similarly static generally non-upgradeable things like iPads....just like those Commodores of old.

Sorry for the off-topic!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I found this two week old new article which actually clears things up a little bit:

http://www.commodoreusa.net/update.html
Commander#1
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Commander#1 »

ral-clan wrote:I found this two week old new article which actually clears things up a little bit:

http://www.commodoreusa.net/update.html
Hi, guys -- and gals -

This news article was also picked up in the July 2010 issue of Nuts & Volts (<www.nutsvolts.com>) magazine, TechKnow-
ledgey 2010 column, page 11, in a somewhat condensed form. With all of the if's and maybe's in the article, we're just
going to have to wait and see. It would appear, though, that we are the keepers of the light in the realm of the mighty
VIC. May the Force be with us.

Phil Potter. 8)
The earth is - oh my gosh - ROUND ! !
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

http://www.commodoreusa.net/index.html

To me, their products feel mor elike a laptop with the screen ripped-off.

I don't see bringing the old Vic/C64 design paradigm (flexibility/portability without the screen) as working in a modern world dominated by the laptop.
Luzur
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Luzur »

is that why he cant brand the machines? seems weird to me that the customer has to stick a logo on his own computer.

also, why is it so hard for a company to survive if its named "Commodore"? must be some curse on that name since Gould's and Mehdi's days.

that Commodore International or whatever that made PC cases had some promise, alot of people bought them (i myself had plans for it, but they stopped selling them before i could afford one) its like people go crazy when they get hold of the name and run their businesses to hell.
"Are you keeping up with Commodore? cuz Commodore is keeping up with you!" ;)

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I remember some of the final paragraphs in each chapter of the infamous book "On the Edge - the Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore" being titled "the Commodore curse". According to the author, it began as early as 1980, when Chuck Peddle left Commodore due to Tramiel's choice for low-cost, low-end computers.
Luzur
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Luzur »

orion70 wrote:I remember some of the final paragraphs in each chapter of the infamous book "On the Edge - the Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore" being titled "the Commodore curse". According to the author, it began as early as 1980, when Chuck Peddle left Commodore due to Tramiel's choice for low-cost, low-end computers.
but back then Commodore did okay for years, nowadays companies dies a few months after getting renamed.

the curse must have gotten stronger by the years. :)
"Are you keeping up with Commodore? cuz Commodore is keeping up with you!" ;)